From my friends on Facebook 6/21/10
• Ben Pesta Jane Street, the block immediately east of Washington; 1976-77; one BR; $350/month!
• Deborah Newman Wow -- very similar to me. I lived at 31 Jane (corner of 8th Ave) from 1974-76. I paid $250/month for a studio.
• Fred Pohlman First apartment... 3 rooms..$75 a month!... But remember...an egg cream was only about 6 cents in 1965! Had a big apartment on Thompson St. in the 70's $185 a mo.
• Dan Beach 1959 - 148 Bleecker St. - 4th floor walkup - bathtub was large sink in the kitchen - fire escape perfect for evenings drinking Ballantine Ale and watching beatniks in sandals at the "Cock 'n Bull" later to become The Bitter End - Rent: $175 a month!
• Sandi Bachom oh this is amazing guys, I'll cut and paste this into the GreenwichVillageMusicFestival.com site....LOVE IT!!! Keep 'em coming!
• Fred Pohlman Actually, when we were runaways in the village, we would stay at crash pads...many on the Lower East side...and these...? Were really cheap like 35 and 40 to 60 a month this was 64
• Michael Gladstone First place was 20 Renwick Street,1969, 5th floor walk up with tub in the kitchen, looked out over the Toll Plaza for the Holland Tunnel. On the corner was the original Half Note @ Spring and Hudson. $46.00 a month and it turned out he was overcharging me, it was supposed to be $29.00 according to rent control. So Ho before it was So Ho.....
• Steve Elliot 76 Carmine street. Paid $120 for studio with a small kitchen. Moved to loft on Wooster in 73 for 2200 sq ft space with a 10 year lease @ 325 a month.
• Marilyn Kirby 1967 - Ave A +10th = $60 per mo and first and last month free
1969 - 5 Morton ( bleeker) = $8o per mo and $100.00 fixture fee to a friend -
• Fred Pohlman The very very very very first though?.....I was 16, and there was a rooming house on 12th street. It was 10 dollars a week... I couldn't afford it though and got kicked out after a couple of weeks. I remember it was filled with roaches and smelled like roach spray! I wept the first night! It was warm though!
• Marilyn Kirby this is beautiful
• Fred Pohlman I love it!
•Bruce Dundore $1600 in 1989. At Archives.
• Stuart Ezrin 1986, I lived at 110 Perry St.(west village) in a 275 sq foot studio and paid approx.750/month.
This group does not have any discussions yet.